PLEASE READ ALL OF THE INFORMATION BELOW:
Drivers Education Guidelines
Students must be 14 and 1/2 years old on the first day of class. All classes will be held before or after the close of the school day. All students taking Driver Education must be enrolled in a Stokes County school, private school, or home school. The revocation of a student's driving permit license will result if a student is unable to maintain adequate academic progress or drops out of school. Adequate academic progress is defined as: passing 3 of 4 block classes each semester. Private and home schooled students must handle academic eligibility through the Division of Nonpublic Instruction. Students must arrange for their own transportation to and from the designated location, must be present at the assigned time, and picked up following the completion of class, or road work. Parents, please be prompt in picking up your children.
Students must take 30 hours in-class and pass with an 80 to advance to the in-car training. Students will complete a minimum of 6 hours behind the wheel. Should a student fail Driver Education class work through poor academic performance, that student will be allowed to re-test but will not be allowed to re-enroll in a future class. For students who drop the course on or after the first day of class, or miss too many days, no refund will be given; they will be required to sit out the next session before re-registering - NO REFUND WILL BE GIVEN. Driver education is not pass/fail; students must earn a passing score. Please make sure your child is serious about driver education, and they have no schedule conflicts during the duration of the course before allowing them to register.
Driver education registration will be held several times during the school year. It is the student/parent responsibility to register for driver education at the appropriate time. This information is found on the NSHS webpage. When there is no registration form available, registration is closed. Periodically students should check the web page for any new information about driver education. Driver Education announcements are repeatedly made during the registration period.
Further information regarding Driver Education in NC may be found at NCDMV under frequently asked questions (FAQ).
Drivers Education Class
- The next Driver Education class will be Monday, December 14, 2020 through Monday, December 21, 2020 (school days).
- Class meets from 3 pm until 8 pm each weekday.
- Class location: Auditorium.
- The class is open to students who live in Stokes County and were born on or before June 15, 2006.
- Students are not officially registered for the class until payment/paperwork is received in the front office.
- Students MUST bring the $65.00 registration fee to the office or parents pay through their school cash online account. Bring a copy of their birth certificate, their social security card and a completed SBTS - 800 form (800 form is available for download at the bottom of this page) to the school office by 2:30 pm December 4, 2020. If you pay through SchoolCashOnline, please select the school you are enrolled at and not the school you will be taking driver education with. Also if you are enrolled in a homeschool or private school, you have to pay in person with check or cash.
- Students should come to class prepared with pencil/pen, paper and highlighter and driver training book.
- Students are responsible for obtaining a driver's training book (REQUIRED) by downloading and printing from NCDMV.
- Students are encouraged to bring a snack. Snack and drink machines will not be available.
- DUE TO COVID-19, SOCIAL DISTANCING AND FACE MASKS WILL BE REQUIRED. STUDENTS WILL HAVE ASSIGNED SEATS WHICH WILL BE SANITIZED AFTER EACH SESSION.