PLEASE READ ALL OF THE INFORMATION BELOW:
Drivers Education Guidelines
Students must be 14 and 1/2 years old on the first day of class. All classes will be held before or after the close of the school day. All students taking Driver Education must be enrolled in a Stokes County school, private school, or home school. The revocation of a student's driving permit license will result if a student is unable to maintain adequate academic progress or drops out of school. Adequate academic progress is defined as: passing 3 of 4 block classes each semester. Private and home schooled students must handle academic eligibility through the Division of Nonpublic Instruction. Students must arrange for their own transportation to and from the designated location, must be present at the assigned time, and picked up following the completion of class, or road work. Parents, please be prompt in picking up your children.
Students must take 30 hours in-class and pass with an 80 to advance to the in-car training. Students will complete a minimum of 6 hours behind the wheel. Should a student fail Driver Education class work through poor academic performance, that student will be allowed to re-test but will not be allowed to re-enroll in a future class. For students who drop the course on or after the first day of class, or miss too many days, no refund will be given; they will be required to sit out the next session before re-registering - NO REFUND WILL BE GIVEN. Driver education is not pass/fail; students must earn a passing score. Please make sure your child is serious about driver education, and they have no schedule conflicts during the duration of the course before allowing them to register.
Driver education registration will be held several times during the school year. It is the student/parent responsibility to register for driver education at the appropriate time. This information is found on the NSHS webpage. When there is no registration form available, registration is closed. Periodically students should check the web page for any new information about driver education. Driver Education announcements are repeatedly made during the registration period.
Further information regarding Driver Education in NC may be found at NCDMV under frequently asked questions (FAQ).
Drivers Education Class
- The next Driver Education class will begin on Tuesday, February 18th. Class is for 10 days and will be held on the following dates: 2/18, 2/19, 2/20, 2/21, 2/24, 2/25, 2/26, 2/27, 2/28 and Test on 3/2/2020.
- Class meets from 4 pm until 7 pm each day.
- The class is open to students who live in Stokes County and were born on or before August 19, 2005.
- Class location: Cafeteria.
- Students may bring a snack. (Snack/drink machines sometimes do not work.) Please bring exact change.
- Students are not officially registered for the class until payment/paperwork is received in the front office.
- The $65.00 registration fee must be paid in the North Stokes High School office by 2:30 PM on February 13, 2020.
- Students MUST also bring a copy of their birth certificate, social security card and a completed SBTS- 800 Form to the school office by 2:30 pm February 13, 2020.
- Students should come to class prepared with pencil/pen, paper and highlighter and driver training book.
- Students are responsible for obtaining a driver's training book either by downloading and printing from NCDMV or you may pick one up from your local NCDMV Office.